BREAKING NEWS!

Martin improves IBF ranking, another Valley fight eyed during Strawberry fest

THE KING CARL JAMMES MARTIN during the weigh in for his fight against Thai Komgrich Nantapech at the Benguet Capitol in December 16 last year. Pinoy Boxing Prodigy Promotions top man Darwin Miller hopes to bring the WBA – Asia and IBF Pan Pacific super bantamweight to fight here anew this year with March as the target date. Martin and his rankings per boxing organization with the IBF as the best at sixth. PML

Carl Jammes Martin indeed improved his International Boxing Federation world ranking after beating Komgrich Nantapech in December 17 past year to win the IBF Pan Pacific super bantamweight belt and may yet fight one more time here before treading the international waters.

The erstwhile seventh ranked IBF challenger Martin (22-0-0 win-loss-draw) has moved past former World Boxing Organization world bantamweight champion Zolani Tete (30-4-0), who slipped to eighth in the rankings which is ruled by Murodjon Akhmadaliev (11-0-0).

The top ranked challenger is Filipino Marlon Tapales (36-3-0), who will fight Akhmadaliev for the latter’s IBF belt anytime this year. The number two spot is still vacant, followed by Mexican Luis Nery (33-1-0) and American Raeese Aleem (20-0-0) and Japanese Takuma Inoue (17-1-0).

The world rankings released last January 9 saw Tete drop to eighth and behind Sam Goodman.

Martin is ranked eighth by the WBO which has Stephen Fulton (21-0-0) as champion and who is also the World Boxing Council king, 15th by the WBC, 13th by the WBA which Akhmadaliev rules.

“Martin has his best ranking in the IBF, so it was the best way for him to earn a world title shot,” said Highland Boxing Promotions chief Brico Santig, whose gym at Strawberry Fields was where Martin and Nantapech trained during their fight last year.

With Martin wanting to fight on local soil yet with a supposed fight in Cavite as an co-main event to a Jerwin Ancajas headlined event, the 23 year old Ifugao-Pagadian native may spend 2023 fighting in the Philippines yet.

“We want to bring him here again, and hope that it could be his ticket to fight abroad,” said Pinoy Boxing Prodigy Promotions top man Darwin Miller Dep-ay, who was the leading promoter of Martin’s last fight.

“The Ancajas supposed fight had been cancelled, and maybe we can still have Martin here for another fight early this year,” Dep-ay told this writer this week.

“Let us bring him here again,” added Dep-ay, who was told by Benguet Gov. Melchor Diclas before the December 17 Martin fight that he is willing to support two boxing events annually.

Dep-ay said that he intends to hold fight during the Strawberry Festival and Benguet Day on March and November, respectively.

“We will be looking forward to those dates,” said Dep-ay as he is eyeing another Thai to be Martin’s next opponent. Pigeon Lobien

SHARE THIS ARTICLE NOW

COMMENTS

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


TAGS

The latest news from luzon. Timely. Accurate. Fair.

SM Celebrates 126th National Flag Day

SM City Baguio joins the nation in the observance of the 126th National Flag Day on May 28. To ignite the momentous occasion, a flag-raising ceremony that displays a clean